SonaKrete Premium Acoustical Finish Specifications
This specification is designed to enable the design professional or specification writer to select the NRC value that best suits the project’s requirements. Please edit the NRC value in section 3.03 Line A.
PART 1 – GENERAL
1.01 Section Includes
- SonaKrete® acoustical finish system.
- Subcontractor must provide manufacturer’s written approval to bid project.
1.02 Project Scheduling
- Clips, hangers, supports, sleeves and other attachments to the substrate are to be placed by other trades prior to the application of acoustical finish.
- Ducts, piping, conduit or other suspended equipment shall not be positioned until after the application.
- Submit one copy of the manufacturer’s ISO 9001:2008 Certification.
- Submit 2 copies of the test reports indicating compliance with the following:
- NRC values per ASTM C-423 conducted by a NVLAP certified testing laboratory:
- Class 1 Fire Rating per ASTM E-84
- Submit one copy of the manufacturer’s written certification that the materials contain no asbestos, fiberglass or other man-made mineral fibers.
- Installing Contractor: submit copy of SonaKrete license as provided by the manufacturer.
- Submit 2 samples (bearing the name SonaKrete) as provided by the manufacturer.
1.04 Quality Assurance
- The Manufacturer must be ISO 9001:2008 Certified.
- Installing applicator must be trained and certified by manufacturer.
- Field samples:
- Construct one field sample panel, 10’x10’, to specified thickness to illustrate texture and color.
- Prepare the sample using the same tools and techniques to be used for the actual application.
- Locate the sample where directed.
- The applicator will inform the project architect when the sample is ready for review.
- Do not start the actual application until the architect has approved the field sample.
1.05 Delivery, Storage and Handling
- Deliver in original, unopened containers bearing name of manufacturer and product identification.
- Store materials dry, off ground and under cover.
- Protect liquid adhesive, sealers & additives from freezing.
1.06 Project Conditions
- The air temperature in the room must be a minimum of 60º F and maintained until the material has cured.
- The substrate temperature must be a minimum of 60º F.
- The General Contractor to provide ventilation to ensure proper curing.
PART 2 – PRODUCTS
2.01 Acceptable Manufacturers
- International Cellulose Corporation
12315 Robin Boulevard
Houston, Texas 77045
(713) 433-6701 or (877) 790-9367
FAX: (713) 433-2029
- SonaKrete® Acoustical Finish System
- Water – Potable
- Color shall be: White Arctic White Custom Color __________
PART 3 – EXECUTION
- Verify surfaces to receive spray insulation to determine if priming/sealing is required to ensure bonding and/or to prevent discoloration caused by migratory stains.
- Examine the substrate surfaces and report unsatisfactory conditions in writing. Do not proceed until unsatisfactory conditions are corrected.
- Drywall substrates require a minimum Level 3 finish.
- Plaster substrates require a brown coat finish.
- Not recommended for ribbed metal decks. Consult with ICC for other substrates.
- Provide masking, drop cloths or other satisfactory coverings for materials/surfaces that are not to receive acoustical finish.
- Coordinate the installation of the acoustical finish with work of other trades.
- Install to a thickness to achieve an NRC of _____.
- Install the acoustical finish according to the manufacturer’s written instructions.
- After achieving the required thickness and while still wet, float the material to match the approved field sample.
- Cure the material with continuous natural or mechanical ventilation.
- Protect finished installation under provisions of Division 1.