Ure-K Thermal Barrier Specifications
PART 1 – GENERAL
1.01 Section Includes
- Sprayed cellulose thermal barrier insulation.
1.02 Related Items
- Clips, hangers, supports, sleeves and other attachments to spray bases are to be placed by other trades prior to the application of sprayed insulation.
- Ducts, piping, conduit or other suspended equipment shall not be positioned until after the application of sprayed insulation.
- Roof penetrations to be installed prior to application.
1.03 Quality Assurance
- Manufacturer must be ISO 9001:2008 Certified.
- Applicator: Licensed by manufacturer.
- Manufacturer must subscribe to independent laboratory follow-up inspection services of Underwriters Laboratories and Factory Mutual. Each bag shall be labeled accordingly.
- Mock-up: Apply a 100 square foot representative sample to be reviewed by the Architect and/or Owner prior to proceeding.
- Submit product data that the product meets or exceeds the following specified requirements.
- R-Value shall be 3.6 per inch per ASTM C 518.
- Bond strength shall be greater than 100 psf per ASTM E 736.
- Product shall be Class 1 Class A per ASTM E 84/ UL 723.
- Tested in accordance with UBC 26-2 Test Method for the evaluation of Thermal Barriers (ASTM E 119)
- NRC to be 0.80 @ 1.25” thick per ASTM E 1042.
- Pass Full – Scale Corner Test.
- Comply with IBC 803.3/2009 IBC 803.10 stability requirements for interior finishes.
- Manufacturer’s written certification that product contains no asbestos, fiberglass or other man-made mineral fibers.
- Copy of manufacturer’s ISO 9001:2008 Certification.
- Minimum Fiber Recycled Content to be 75%.
- Cannot contain any Urea-Formaldehyde Resins.
1.05 Delivery, Storage and Handling
- Deliver in original, unopened containers bearing name of manufacturer, product identification and reference to U.L. testing.
- Store materials dry, off ground, and under cover.
- Protect liquid adhesive from freezing.
PART 2 – PRODUCTS
2.01 Acceptable Manufacturers
- International Cellulose Corporation
12315 Robin Boulevard
Houston, Texas 77045
(713) 433-6701 or (800) 444-1252
FAX: (713) 433-2029
- For approved applicators contact ICC at 800-444-1252.
- Ure-K Thermal Barrier System.
- Color shall be from Manufacturer’s standard color chart.
- Comply with local Building Code requirements.
PART 3 – EXECUTION
- Examine surfaces and report unsatisfactory conditions in writing. Do not proceed until unsatisfactory conditions are corrected.
- Verify surfaces to receive spray insulation to determine if priming/sealing is required to insure bonding and/or to prevent discoloration caused by migratory stains.
- Provide masking, drop cloths or other satisfactory coverings for materials/surfaces that are not to receive insulation to protect from over-spray.
- Coordinate installation of the sprayed cellulose fiber with work of other trades.
- Prime surfaces as required by manufacturer’s instructions or as determined by examination.
- Thickness will be determined as the minimum thickness measured as per ASTM E-605 field test procedure.
- Install spray applied insulation according to manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Install Thermal Barrier System at 1.25” average thickness.
- Cure insulation with continuous natural or mechanical ventilation.
- Remove and dispose of over-spray.
- Protect finished installation under provision of Division 1.